As far as I can tell, we as a culture value:
– Having enough money to be able to eat anything
– Looking like you eat nothing
– Being separate from our previous generations and family values
– Being healthy (being sick is a sign of weakness)
– Only liking socially acceptable things
– Having lots of sex, even if it’s meaningless
This all ties back into the Protestant Work Ethic, wherein if you do not have these things you are not favored by God. A lot of our culture is founded on it.
We’re screwed up.